Saturday, September 12, 2009

First Week Down


Well the first week is over, and I am very happy with it. I made a schedule, which can be seen on the last post. It details the amount of time the girls should spend on each subject and on which days they should study which subject. I am loving it! I will use it in combination with my black board of assignments. It's a great tool to keep me on track. Thursday was Geography club and piano lessons, so we didn't get much done in terms of work. They spent the morning working on their Geography project, and after presenting it that was about it for schoolwork. We went to the park with other HS families and had a "PE" afternoon. Except that moms sat and talked while the kids ran and played all over the park. I don't feel bad on days like this because the children need their exercise and social time with other kids. Plus, they only occur about once or twice a month.

Although my schedule includes English, Math, Language Arts, Spanish, Social Studies, Spelling, writing, science, sewing, cooking/baking, art, piano, and Latin, we didn't get to tackle everything this week. We missed Latin, and my 4th grader hasn't started spelling yet. Although she came to me and daddy exclaiming that she knows how to spell "hypothesis" and "thousand." Both of those words came as a result of doing her Science and Math work.

I have been a little slow getting her Spelling program together, but I am working on it. I'll have it ready by Monday's lesson. I'll post it here on the right side with the other's if you would like to download it to use for your child. Latin didn't get started because I didn't have flash cards, I have them now. Next week we'll start Latin.

This year I am reading books with both of the girls separately, it doesn't take up too much time and it's special time together. My oldest is reading 8th grade Literature, and the 4th grader is reading something from the Newbery List.

Anyway, that's my update for this week. Oh I forgot to say how impressed with the math book I am using for my 4th grader. It's really great at presenting math in many different ways. It's the 4th grade math by Haughton and Miffin.



Here is a pic of their New Jersey Geography project. They only had a limited amount of time to put it together, so it's not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment