when you tell them your children are home schooled.
1) Who does that, you? Uh...yes I do if that's okay with you.
2) Are you a certified teacher? No, I am not a certified teacher but I have a Master's in Professional Counseling and I have completed my coursework for a Master's in Educational Research. I know a High School Diploma is the education level that is required in Georgia, but do you think my education will do?
3) How do they like that...I guess they have no choice? Yes, actually they do have a choice. I ask them all the time if they would like to go back to regular school, and their answer is a resounding "no," at least not in Georgia.
4) That would drive me crazy...I don't have the patience. We all have to take a break once in a while. It is a commitment to take your child's education into your own hands.
5) What grades do they get on their tests? I only give spelling tests and standardized tests. If my children get answers wrong on their lessons, I ask them to redo the work after I explain anything that aren't clear on.
6) How do you know if they are on track? I know they are on track by having conversations with them about what they know. I pay attention to what I see and hear from them and I check that against what children should know at their grade level.
7) You are hiding from the world... you are gonna have to face the world sometime? I can hide as long as I like if that's what I'm doing. If I have to hide my children away to ensure their successful education, I am willing to do that.
8) Are they getting enough socialization? Children don't need to socialize with children to be social. They can socialize with me and their father, and they will be just fine. However, my children socialize with other homeschool children and other friends they have gathered over their lives.
9) Oh! Homeschool kids are so much smarter than kids that go to regular school. I'm not sure if mine are, but I can only hope so. My goal is to give them a creative, individualized, safe, expansive education. If that makes them smarter than other kids great, but I want them to be the best they can be. I believe homeschooling can provide that for them right now.
10) Your kids are lucky. Thanks my husband and I are trying to do the best we can.